Love is spelt time

Love to children is spelt time.

At the beginning of this term, I made elaborate plans for Zawadi to get to school as I was otherwise was engaged. All this was a week prior to the date.

When that morning came, doe eyed daughter, who never asks for anything, asks 'Mum, please take me to school.'

Something about how she said it, made that moment in time standstill.

She needed her mother.

Many people who know Zawadi know she's a soft spoken, peaceful, joyful, undemanding child whose made parenting or even just spending time with her, most enjoyable.

Terrible twos came and went, three and four and it wasn't until she was ten did I realise, she never had tantrums!  Teenagehood has been very confusing for me because she is the most amazing teenager ever. Thoughtful, obedient and happy!

So, heartstrings pulled, I rearranged the day to take her to school even though it was a whole day affair. And boy didn't we have fun. She talked incessantly, which is rare, and she said some things from the heart that took me aback.

We had time for lunch, and we chose to do something different, an Indian restaurant! Something simple but exciting .

When we got to school, the administration didn't allow parents past the gate meaning even though I didn't accompany Princess, she would have been alright.

But I must admit, that it was worth every second and I would do it again and again. Anything that stands in the way of not being available for my children is often scrutinized as worthwhile to have or not.

She hugged me long and hard and I didn't let go first. She smiled. I was OK. I realised at that moment how honoured I am to be her mother, how that day would be forever burned in my memory and heart. This day wasn't about her, I needed this too.

Our children need us.
However silly it may seem
Make time for them

Love is spent time.

Comments