The Nandi Flame Tree Has Blossomed

The Nandi Flame Tree Has blossomed.

I wish I could say its just another  beautiful blossom. I cannot. This one comes with profound nostalgia. You see over 30 years ago Dad planted this tree as he built his rural home. He loved  trees and planted several over his lifetime.  But this Nandi Flame has a story.

Many of the trees Dad planted were cut down after he died.  For firewood, for sale etc. and not replaced.  Including the majestic Nandi Flame in the car park.  It was towered with authority and as it provided ample shade, it had the most amazing blossom.

Dad on more than one ccasion shared his love for this particular tree in my childhood.  When he passed on I had fond memories of the smile he would have as he spoke of the Nandi Flame.  So when the stump of the remaining Nandi Flame started to show signs of life,  it was very easy to let noone near it to cut it. The tree was a reminder of his legacy ;a man who chose to go where few dared to and with great cheer. He was a trendsetter who went the journey with others.  He never travelled alone.

So this morning I saw the blossom; and smiled.  His legacy will live on. Nothing can stop that from happening. Dads legacy lives inside of me, in my children and their children's children. His laughter and smarts runs in their veins.  His integrity resonates in all that pertains us despite some trying to cut it down.

What legacy are we leaving behind? What have you signed up to that your  children and the generations after them will inherit?

The Nandi Flame Tree has blossomed.

Comments