Sometimes am concerned about the colour of my son. He's sometimes an ashy grey, or today sun baked under a coat of red dust. All depend what he's being doing. Today he was rolling in the dust with Johari the puppy.

Then other times am curious where his clothes are. Often he has one shoe on, his sweater comes off if i don't get it of before the 10 o'clock sun and I cannot find it. Today it was his shorts that were missing. Potty training has been an uphill task with resounding NOs to his potty. Until today when he found delight in holding and aiming into his potty.

Its not anywhere fair to compare his sister to him. She was potty trained with no drama by 9 months and was repulsed to dirt. She's still very soft spoken, her brother can be heard from a good distance off; he's 2&1/2. They are sugar and spice!

What is not my concern though is he is happy and healthy. His first 1&1/2 years was traumatic in and out of hospital. After a series of many admissions, the staff at the hospital thought I was a colleague. That was a clear indication it was time for drastic changes.

Johari the puppy in the picture has been therapeutic in many ways. She's a friend and a protective watch dog. Not even me can admonish Fadhili in front of her without a bark. They can spend up to three hours together and I won't worry about him. They talk in their own language. Fadhili brings Johari a book to read together; and it has to have pictures of dogs. Nurturing her for Fadhili is almost instinctive and vise versa. I don't get it but there's a special bond that's for sure.

Pumpkins, sweet potatoes, Bananas, maize, beans, green vegetables I grew personally,  milk so fresh it was still warm from the cow, rain water and fresh air were also on the agenda of getting Fadhili on the highway to recovery.

After 6 months, the doctor at his regular checkup told me to take it easy on the food :-). The recovery was tremendous.

Its almost one year later and I am thankful to watch my little munchkin be able to remove his shoes and socks on his own, clamber into bed  and be able to sleep on his back with abandon. Now that's not worth any concern!

Comments